Friday 15 October 2010

Over 70 miles, 4,000 calories, 2 counties, and about 30 banannas!

On 3 October my training for the Jordan cycle was taken to a whole new level. I was joined by my comrade Chris Lindsay Smith in attempting to complete the Phil Cooke Challenge, a 70 mile cycle across the counties of Northamptonshire and Warwickshire all in aid of Marie Curie Cancer Care.

It was an early start, especially for a Sunday morning. I cooked a breakfast of eggs, while we both pumped our tyres and loaded the car feeling confident in the task ahead.

Once in Northampton the task ahead looked slightly more challenging with the gail force winds and thrashing rain standing in our way. We registered, took the obligatory 'before shot' on the camera, loaded our bags with energy snacks and what seemed like 30 banannas and set on our way.

Hills, hills, hills, hills and more ruddy hills. Although nobody said this would be easy, I don't think either of us expected it to be so hard or that there would be so many hills! The rain poured, the wind blew in our face, and we swore a lot, but we didn't stop, and over 5 hours later (and after consuming pretty much all of our banannas) we crossed the finish line truly exhausted.

After a cup of tea, the obligatory 'after shot' on the camera and what seemed a long journey home the day was brought to an end.

My gratitude and respect goes out to my good friend Chris, whom I could not have completed the ride without - but also for raising a mammoth £260 for Marie Curie in sponsorships. This also has taken me over my initial target of raising £2750 - rock and roll :-)

TOTAL RAISED: £260

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers